8-step guide to Health and Relationships
Discovery Education Health and Relationships is a comprehensive programme that helps you teach children how to keep safe, make healthy choices, develop respect and form positive relationships.
- Once you’ve logged in, click on the Health and Relationships tile to access all the teaching and planning resources in your homepage.
From the Health and Relationships homepage you can access the six programme topics. Scroll left and right so you can see them all.
- Under Programme overview, you will find planning materials to help you implement the programme, as well as your guide on how to ensure a safe teaching and learning environment. The topic grids provides a clear and concise overview of the content, progression and vocabulary across topics and year groups.
Note: Ensuring a safe teaching and learning environment
This guidance must be read by all teachers before delivering any aspect of the Discovery Education Health and Relationships programme. It provides a set of best practice principles for creating a safe learning environment that enables pupils to share ideas and information, sets an expectation for a mature response and increases teacher confidence in delivery and in managing discussions.
- There are six topics in the programme, revisited every year from years 1 to 6.
• Healthy and happy relationships
• Similarities and differences
• Caring and responsibility
• Families and committed relationships
• Healthy bodies, healthy minds
• Coping with change
Click into your topic of choice and then choose your year group to access the teaching and learning materials.
- Watch the video
On the first tab you will find the video for your topic and year group.
The videos are child-led and explore a wide range of animated and real-life scenarios. You can use the videos in a variety of ways to best suit your needs, for example to introduce the topic, stimulate discussion or distance learning so that pupils can relate back to a real-life situation without it being about their own lives.
- Choose your lesson
Following the video, there are three lessons, each with a specific theme and progressing from the one before.
- Explore the lesson resources
Full lesson plans including curriculum guidance and opportunities for assessment.
Whiteboard presentations to help you deliver the lesson and use real-world imagery to illustrate examples.
Worksheets to support the classroom activities and help children explore, discuss and express their thoughts.
- Inform, consult and engage with parents and carers
Effective Relationships and Health Education is best delivered in partnership with parents. We offer resources to help you consult with and provide regular information to parents and carers, including letter templates, workshop presentations and responses to common questions and concerns, helping you to engage positively with parents and enabling them to reinforce their child’s learning at home.