Discovery Education Health and Relationships is a comprehensive programme that helps you teach children how to keep safe, make healthy choices, develop respect and form positive relationships. Follow this quick start guide to get up and running with the programme.
Log in and access programme
Explore programme topics
From the Health and Relationships homepage you can access the six programme topics. Scroll left and right so you can see them all.
There are six topics in the programme, revisited every year from years 1 to 6.
- Healthy and happy relationships
- Similarities and differences
- Caring and responsibility
- Families and committed relationships
- Healthy bodies, healthy minds
- Coping with change
Review programme overview
Under Programme overview, you will a variety of materials to help you implement the programme.
- Overview of Health and Relationships - outlines the programme's structure and delivery, its topics and content, how to approach curriculum planning and how to measure progress and impact.as well as your guide on how to ensure a safe teaching and learning environment.
- Creating a safe teaching and learning environment guidance - provides a set of best practice principles for creating a safe learning environment that enables pupils to share ideas and information, sets an expectation for a mature response and increases teacher confidence in delivery and in managing discussions. This guidance must be read by all teachers before delivering the programme.
- Topic grids - provide a clear and concise overview of the content, progression and vocabulary across topics and year groups.
- Parental support materials - include presentation templates, an overview of what's covered in each year group and letter templates
Explore lesson materials
Click into your topic of choice and then choose your year group to access the teaching and learning materials.
Once in the lesson, the first tab will have the overview video for that topic and year group.
Videos are child-led and explore a wide range of animated and real-life scenarios. You can use the videos in a variety of ways to best suit your needs, for example to introduce the topic, stimulate discussion or distance learning so that pupils can relate back to a real-life situation without it being about their own lives.
Following the video, there are three lessons, each with a specific theme and progressing from the one before.
Presentations help you deliver the lesson and use real-world imagery to illustrate examples. As all presentations are created using our Studio tool, it's easy for you to personalise these lessons for the specific needs of your class.
Worksheets support the classroom activities and help children explore, discuss and express their thoughts.
Review lesson plans
All lessons include full lesson plans including curriculum guidance and opportunities for assessment.
Inform, consult and engage with parents and carers
Effective Relationships and Health Education is best delivered in partnership with parents. We offer resources to help you consult with and provide regular information to parents and carers, including letter templates, workshop presentations and responses to common questions and concerns, helping you to engage positively with parents and enabling them to reinforce their child’s learning at home.
Looking for more support?